Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Snack Pack: Homemade Spicy Garlic Pickles

I've noticed over the years that I tend to get hungry at particular times of the day. I'll just be hanging out, doing my thing, and all of a sudden my stomach will start talking to me. One of my closest friends has a theory, and I'm very much inclined to agree with her - we (along with many of our co-workers and friends) each have a chubby little kid living inside of us urging us to eat poorly...and to do it a lot. I've named mine Jack ,and I blame him on all of my not-so-healthy food choices. For some reason when the clock strikes 11 am or 5 pm (and sometimes even 9 pm), he really starts yappin'...and he never wants anything that even remotely fits the definition of "healthy."

However, when I made the gem of a recipe I'm going to give you today, Jack changed his tune a little bit. Normally, he wants cheese dip and chips, or cheez-its, or cajun boiled peanuts or any number of goodies that a little kid might want. Until now. Who knew that a pickle could be so fantastic? So flavorful? And...so easy?!

Yep, that's right. I don't have the patience to can, so I really needed a recipe that would allow me to by-pass that process all together. I did a good bit of reading, looked over quite a few recipes, and came up with this super yummy snack that requires little to no work. Little effort, great reward. And that little kid inside of you will love them!

Homemade Spicy Garlic Pickles
3 small cucumbers, quartered
5 fresh dill sprigs
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 1/4 cup water
1 tbs salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp peppercorns
1 qt jar with sealable top

Combine water, vinegar, salt and sugar together until salt and sugar dissolve. Pack cucumbers into canning jar and place dill sprigs in spaces in between the cucumber slices. Add garlic cloves and spices and add water/vinegar mix until jar is filled to the top. Seal the top of the jar and turn upside down once to mix spices throughout. Place in refrigerator for 24 hours, and enjoy!

These pickles will last up to two weeks in your fridge. If you don't like spice, eliminate the red pepper flakes and peppercorns. You'll still get the garlic flavor without so much of the spice.

Of course, special thanks to Mary Katherine Mitchell for introducing the theory that has led to the creation of Jack, Gordon, Igor, Lucy and all of our other friends!

Until next time...

Cheers!


No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...