Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Weeknight Bites: Cajun Scallops with Red Onion & Arugula

Have you noticed that your tastes tend to change over time? Just a little over five years ago I didn't eat seafood - at all. I look back on it now and think I must have been crazy. The truth is, I didn't like it then. I'm not sure exactly what happened, whether my tastebuds went through some sort of mid-20's crisis or perhaps just needed a change, but whatever it was turned me into a seafood fan practically overnight. For some reason, whenever I think about my new(ish) affinity for food from the ocean, I can't help but remember one particular camping trip I took with my family in high school. We went to Cape Hatteras, and I remember vividly how I refused - REFUSED - to eat crab legs. I'm pretty sure I insisted on a chicken sandwich instead. I laugh about it now...I just didn't know what I was missing.

While today's recipe isn't one for crab legs, it is for another type of seafood that I wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole back in my younger days. Oh, how naive I was. Today, I give you scallops. Ah, heaven on earth.

Now, this recipe isn't exactly for the faint of heart. I'm not talking about a delicate, salt-pepper-olive oil scallop pan-seared to perfection (although that certainly has its place in my repertoire and one day, I'll give it to you - promise). No. This dish is SPICY. And man do I love it.

Cajun Scallops w/Red Onion & Arugula
1 tsp olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced & separated
1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp butter
1 garlic clove
3/4 lbs fresh scallops
2 tsp hot sauce (like Texas Pete)
 1 cup (packed) Arugula

Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add onion, 1 tsp Cajun seasoning and black pepper and saute for three minutes. Add butter and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Sprinkle scallops with remaining Cajun seasoning. Add to skillet and cook 3 minutes. Sprinkle with hot sauce and flip. Cook 3 minutes. Remove scallops from skillet and set aside (keep warm).

In the same skillet, add arugula to red onion and garlic mixture. Saute arugula until wilted. 

Plate arugula and red onion mixture first, then place scallops on top. Serve immediately. 

This recipe serves two, so if you have more mouths to feed you'll want to increase your portions. Remember, the spice level is high! If you'd like to tone it down a bit, omit the hot sauce and go a little lighter on the Cajun seasoning. This should bring down the heat level somewhat. Enjoy!

Until next time...

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...