Sunday, November 18, 2012

Weeknight Bites: Lemon and Thyme Beef Stroganoff

A few months back, I signed up for a subscription to Every Day with Rachael Ray. I'm now subscribed to at least 4 "cooking" magazines (Cooking Light, Bon Appetit and Southern Living being the other three) and I have to say, I literally squeal with delight every time I get a new one in the mail. Whenever the most current issue of any of these publications arrives in my mailbox, I march right into my house, grab my notebook (where I make all of my lists and menus) and plant myself on the couch so I can scour through it from front to back.

I know, I'm a big dork.

Anyway, I have a point. While browsing the November 2012 issue Every Day with Rachael Ray, I came across today's recipe. At first, I was slightly apprehensive. When it comes to Beef Stroganoff, I pretty much love the classic. While the flavor profile of this variation sounded interesting, I just wasn't sure I was going to like it much...but, in the spirit of trying anything (almost) once, I found that I was intrigued enough to try it. Clearly, it rocked (otherwise I wouldn't be posting about it!). The lemon and thyme are so fresh and bright in this dish. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was really delicious. My husband and I both agreed - it's a keeper, and I'll definitely make it again. Give it a try!

1 12 oz. package extra wide egg noodles
1 pound ground beef
1 vidalia onion, chopped
5 tsp fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1/2 cup beef broth (or vegetable broth)
1 8 oz container sour cream
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 lemon

Cook noodles as instructed on package and drain. Meanwhile, brown beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add onion and 4 tsp thyme to the beef and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.

Stir in the broth and allow the liquid to reduce for 3 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in sour cream, mustard and lemon juice and cook until heated through (about 2 minutes).

Add noodles to stroganoff mixture and stir well to combine. Top with remaining 1 tsp thyme and service with lemon slices.

Until next time...

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...