Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Taco Night: The Lighter Side

Alright, everyone...who loves taco night? I know I do! Normally, I stick to the typical: ground beef with taco seasoning, soft or hard taco shells, salsa, lettuce, sour cream, cheese...all of the fun toppings that make tacos complete. However, I changed up my usual routine the other night, and the results were so yummy that I just have to share the recipe with you!

To preface, I'll say that I've been obsessed with raw (or, in this case, lightly seared) tuna since my husband and I got back from our honeymoon. While we were there, I had an absolutely fabulous entree salad with raw tuna and mixed greens, topped with a super delish teriyaki dressing. Because I loved it so much, these days I'm pretty much willing to try any recipe that uses raw or seared tuna as an ingredient. Truthfully, I seek those recipes out...I just can't help it! This particular gem comes from the March 2012 edition of Cooking Light magazine (one of my favorite reads), and combines  my new favorite food with a classic taco night ingredient for a combination that is light, delicious and - importantly - easy to make. You'll love the simple guacamole used in this recipe, so much so that you may even want to use it on its own as a dip for tortilla chips!

And I know, I said I was working on pictures, and I really will get some better images up here eventually...but I promise these look (and taste, of coures) awesome in real life!

Tuna Tacos with Guacamole
1/2 cup chopped red onion*
1 tbs fresh lime juice 
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2 peeled and mashed avocados
Cooking spray
1 10 oz Yellowfin tuna steak
Flour tortillas
*Want to save time here? Purchase previously chopped red onions.

Guacamole: Mix onion, lime juice, 1/4 tsp salt and avocados in a small bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, coating pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle tuna filet with 1/2 tsp salt. Add tuna to skillet and cook 4 minutes each side. Allow tuna to sit for 3-4 minutes before slicing. Warm tortillas if desired (as shown on package). Serve immediately with guacamole and extra slices of lime (squeeze a little over your taco for an extra kick!).

Easy, right?! I hope you enjoy these as much as I did! Happy Taco Night! :)

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...