Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Weeknight Bites: Jalapeno-Garlic Tilapia Pasta

The other night, my husband and I had the pleasure of hosting my youngest brother (Andrew) and his girlfriend (Katt) over for dinner. We had a lot of fun hanging out and catching up with them, and, of course, eating some good food! This was the first time I've cooked for them, and I wanted to make sure that I made something they'd both enjoy. I decided on this recipe because it's easy (as always!) and really delicious. I made it a few years ago and I honestly remember thinking it may have been (at the time) the best dish I'd ever made. And, since both Andrew and Katt asked me for the recipe before they left for the night, I think it's safe to say that they loved it, too!

Jalapeno-Garlic Tilapia Pasta
2 1/2 cups penne pasta*
1/3 cup margarine, melted
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tilapia filets
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 tbs lemon juice
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 6 oz package baby spinach
*or any "small" pasta that you like - shells, rotini, etc.

Cook penne pasta in lightly salted boiling water for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain.

While the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine melted margarine and minced garlic in a small bowl. Pour flour in another small bowl and place both bowls side by side. Dip tilapia filets in the margarine mixture, then immediately coat with flour.

Cook the fish in the oil until golden brown, turning once (approximately 6 minutes total). Pour cream, lemon juice, remaining margarine mixture, jalapenos, and spices into the skillet and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Cook for roughly 2 minutes, until fish flakes easily. Use a spoon to flake fish apart within the pan, coating it in the sauce. 

Mix baby spinach into the skillet and cook until wilted. Stir in cooked pasta until well-coated, and serve immediately. Serves 4.

As you'll notice, this recipe uses fresh jalapenos and cayenne pepper, so it does have a bit of a kick to it. If you'd like to tone down the spice, try substituting chopped green bell pepper for the jalapeno. 

If you're looking to try something a little different, give this recipe a go. I love it, my husband loves it, and my guests loved it too! If you're looking for a wine to pair, go with a Riesling. The wine is light, making it a great pair for seafood, and it's great with spicy dishes.

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...