Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mix of the Month: The Creamsicle Cosmo

The majority of the year, I'm the kind of girl that prefers her drinks dark and smooth; I'm not one for anything that's too sweet, too sour, or really, anything frozen. Most days, I'll take a Jack and Coke over whatever fruity drink of the day is on the menu. In the summer, though, that changes.

In the summer, my tolerance for sweet and fruity goes way up. I find myself craving pina coladas, mojitos, and (of course), margaritas - drinks that taste like sunshine in a glass. It was actually my craving for a refreshing cranberry mojito that led me to creating June's mix of the month. While gathering the ingredients, I realized that my grocer was out of mint. Instead of stopping somewhere else to try to grab this key component, I decided to wing it. I picked up a bottle of orange whipped vodka to go along with the cranberry juice and Sprite that I'd already purchased, and the end result took me back to summers when I was a kid, enjoying popsicles on hot days. This cocktail is an adult version of one of those tasty treats.

The Creamsicle Cosmo
1 part orange whipped vodka
2 parts cranberry juice
Sprite, to top off

Mix vodka and cranberry juice in a shaker with ice. Shake until frost form on outside. Pour into martini glass and top off with a splash of Sprite.

I added a slice of lime for garnish, but this is optional. If you can't find orange whipped vodka at your liquor store, substitute vanilla vodka and triple sec (1 part vodka as shown in the recipe and 1/2 part triple sec). Enjoy!

Stay tuned for more summer recipes, coming up this week...

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...