Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Party Plates: Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes

Earlier this week, my parents brought over a significantly sized haul of cherry tomatoes from their garden. Since they were about to embark on a nice, long vacation to Europe (for their 30th wedding anniversary - wow!), they knew they needed to hand them off so the little gems wouldn't go bad while they were away. They didn't have to ask me twice - I took them without hesitation.

Don't get me wrong, these mini versions of one of my favorite fruits are great all by themselves. I could literally just pop them in my mouth one by one and be a happy camper (and I actually did, with a few of them). Still, I just can't help but want to try something new, and these bite-size morsels got my brain stirring. The result? A yummy little appetizer that can be quite addictive, if I do say so myself. They don't take long to make, they look great, and your friends and family will eat them right up. Even my husband loves these, and he hates tomatoes...now that's saying something!

Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
1 dozen cherry tomatoes
1 8 oz container regular cream cheese, softened
2 tbs dry italian dressing mix

Wash cherry tomatoes and pat dry with a paper towel. Slice a very small piece off of the bottom of the tomato, giving it a flat "platform" to stand on. Slice off the top of the tomato and scoop out insides with a melon baller or small sugar spoon, leaving the walls of the tomato intact.

Mix the cream cheese and dry italian mix together, stirring until well blended. Spoon cream cheese mixture into cherry tomatoes.*

*Note: If it's easier, you can also spoon the blended cream cheese into a ziploc bag, sealing the bag tightly and cutting off a small portion of one of the corners. This will allow you to "pipe" the cream cheese into the tomatoes.

At the end of the day, I have my parents to thank for the opportunity to come up with a great new recipe. After all, it was their homegrown produce that led me to this beautiful result! I can't wait until my own tomato plants starts sprouting so I can experiment some more.

Thanks, Mom and Dad - and congratulations!!!

Until next time...

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...