Thursday, September 13, 2012

Mix of the Month: (Slow Cooker) Spiced Apple Cider

Yesterday was such an unbelievably beautiful day that I found myself wishing I could leave the office early to go home, sit on my deck with a great book and just enjoy the weather. Instead, I settled for going out to lunch with some of my girlfriends from work. My one hour trip to the world outside of the office was so fantastic that, on my way home last night, I made the decision to whip up a batch of hot spiced apple cider and spend the evening on the porch. What a great idea! This cider is spiced perfectly, smells great, and will warm you right down to your bones. You get a little extra zing from the rum, but don't worry - it's the perfect amount for a relaxing, smooth drink to sip on while enjoying your fall evening.

And, on top of being a great fall drink, this mix of the month also fits in perfectly with Slow Cooker September! I promised you nothing but slow cooker recipes, didn't I?


4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Captain Morgan spiced rum (or your favorite brand)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 orange, sliced (keep remaining orange for adding slices as garnish)

Add apple juice, rum and spices to a small slow cooker (I use my 2 qt. version for this). Stir to blend spices and add oranges. Heat on low for 3 hours or high for 1 1/2 hours. Serve hot, with small slices of orange for garnish if desired.

Note: You'll find that if you follow the recipe exactly (with all of the spices free-flowing), they won't dissolve in the liquid; instead, they'll settle at the bottom of your Crockpot (or, once served, your cup). This didn't bother me, but if it's less than desirable for you there are ways around it. If you have a tea ball, you can use this to infuse the spices into the mixture (just add the spices to the ball and add it to the mixture while it cooks). Or, if you don't, strain the liquid through a coffee filter as you pour it into your cup; this should filter out the majority of the spices.

Until next time...

Enjoy!




No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...