Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Snack Pack: Homemade Guacamole (& Cucumber Chips!)

I never liked avocados growing up. I don't know if it was the color, the taste, or maybe a mixture of the two, but I just didn't like them. Of course, that also meant that, to me, guacamole was "ewww, gross!" and I just didn't touch the stuff.

Fast forward 15 years and, like most of the foods I didn't like as a kid (asparagus and any kind of seafood, for instance), I'm suddenly obsessed with everything the avocado has to offer. It's so unbelievably yummy...and good for you, too!  One of my favorite things about it is that it's best when simply prepared, in a recipe that allows it to shine. And you know how I feel about simple and easy. It's kind of my thing. Ok, it's REALLY my thing.

The forecast for this weekend (for my fellow Atlantans) is sunny and warm, and I'm planning on spending some quality time out on my deck soaking up some rays, hanging out with my favorite boys (the hubs and our two dogs, of course), and snacking on some of my fine-weather-favorites...today's recipe included.

The cucumber chips are a great option for  GF-er's, though you can also grab a bag of Tostitos corn chips as well if gluten's a no-no for you. If not, feel free to pair this great guac with any chip or dipper you like!

Homemade Guacamole (& Cucumber Chips)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 avocados, halved and pitted
1 1/2 tbs red onion, finely chopped
1 lime
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 small serrano chile, finely chopped
1 medium cucumber, sliced into rounds or chips for dipping

Scoop the flesh from the avocado halves into a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add onion, cilantro, juice of lime, chile and salt. Stir to mix ingredients. Serve in a bowl with cucumber slices. If desired, lightly salt and pepper cucumber.

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @Cocktail_Cutie!

Until next time...

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...