Friday, March 6, 2015

Red Beans and Rice (Slow Cooker)

Happy Friday!

This week has been a big week for me - it was the first week in my journey as a stay-at-home mom to my beautiful little Bug! I am SO beyond blessed to have this opportunity, and I'm so excited to watch her grow and learn.

There were a lot of things I wanted to get done over these last five days - I was VERY ambitious with my "to do" list. While I didn't exactly cross everything off of that list (okay, I maybe got to about 30% of it. Still proud!), I wanted to be SURE that there was one thing that I definitely did. That one thing was to write in this blog. Lucky you! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I got plenty accomplished - I deep-cleaned my kitchen, did the grocery shopping for the week, cooked dinner every night (with the exception of last night, when we ate leftovers), and spent a whole heck of a lot of awesome time hanging out with Bug. We had two really nice days here in GA this week, so we went on walks and hung out at the park for a bit. I'm absolutely loving our "new life" so far!

I'm looking forward to not only having more time to cook, but more time to blog as well. Be on the lookout for new recipes at least a few times a week! If you haven't already liked the Facebook page, be sure to go ahead and do so to make sure that you don't miss out on any of the yummy goodness I'm posting.

Today's recipe is a slow cooker dinner that I've been meaning to post for quite awhile now. Honestly, I'd normally focus more on "spring"-y recipes here in March, but good grief -Winter just wants to keep hanging around this year! Feel free to cook up this Louisiana favorite to help you warm up after playing in the snow all day.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend!

Slow Cooker Red Beans & Rice
Adapted from Cooking Light, September 2014


2 cans red kidney beans
1 tablespoon olive oil    
1 pound andouille sausage, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped poblano chile
1 cup diced celery    
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
10 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (12-ounce) can lager-style beer (I used Yuengling)    
4 cups unsalted chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper   
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
 
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil to the pan, swirling to coat. Add sausage and cook 6 minutes or until browned. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) and cook 8 minutes. Stir in beer and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
 
Place sausage mixture in slow cooker. Add beans, stock, red pepper, black pepper, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.

Discard bay leaves. Stir in 1/4 cup green onions and vinegar. Serve over rice; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions.
 
Until next time...
 
Cheers!
 

 

 

 

 


 




No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...