Thursday, January 21, 2016

Mushroom & Chicken Marsala Bowls

So far in 2016, I've made it a point to try some new things in the kitchen. The other day, for example, I poached eggs for the very first time (they were perfect - I'm sure I won't be able to replicate that experience the next time I try, lol). Today's recipe includes an ingredient I've never tried before. That ingredient? Chicken thighs.

I've never made them myself, and I can't even be 100% confident that I've actually eaten them before, either. Perhaps unknowingly? Unintentionally? I just don't know. I do know, however, that my husband is extremely picky when it comes to chicken, and, because of that, I've always steered clear of recipes that call for chicken thighs in the past (or I made them anyway and simply subbed chicken breasts). Not this time, though. This time I figured, heck, why not try it? This recipe seemed like the perfect one to use as an experiment, seeing as how it calls for more mushrooms than it does chicken (and my husband loves mushrooms). I'm so glad we tried it. Not only was it good the first night I made it, it was also successful as leftovers, believe it or not. We'll definitely be making it again!

 
Mushroom & Chicken Marsala Bowls
Adapted from Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2016
 
2 1/2 tbs butter
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tbs canola oil
1 package fresh baby spinach
8 oz sliced white mushrooms
8 oz skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 1/2 tbs chopped fresh thyme
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 black pepper
 
Melt 1 1/2 tsp butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa to pan and saute 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 1/4 tsp salt.
 
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tsp oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add spinach and cook for 1 1/2 minutes or just until wilted. Remove and set aside.
 
Melt 1 1/2 tsp butter in pan and add 1 1/2 tsp oil. Swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes, stirring to brown on all sides. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
 
Add remaining oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add chicken and saute 4 minutes, stirring to brown on all sides. Add shallots, thyme and garlic and saute for 1 1/2 minutes. Add wine and remaining chicken stock. Cook until liquid is reduced and becomes slightly syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining butter, mustard, pepper and salt. Stir constantly until butter melts, then stir in mushrooms and spinach. Serve over quinoa.
 
Until next time...
 
Cheers!


No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...