Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Thai Steak Noodle Bowl

I mentioned in my blog the other day that I'm kind of on a "try new things in the kitchen" kick for 2016. I feel like I manage to incorporate a good variety into the meals I offer my family, but I can always do more. I love learning about new ingredients and new cooking techniques (and how to use them), and I really want to learn more about balance and nutrition in general. I'm looking forward to doing that this year.

Today's recipe includes an ingredient I'd never used before: red curry paste. I'm so glad I tried it! It smells SO good, for one, not to mention the vibrant color it added to this dish. Since the recipe doesn't call for a TON of the stuff, the overall flavor is mild (slightly, pleasantly spicy to me, while not spicy at all to my husband who loves ridiculously hot stuff and therefore thinks anything less than a ghost pepper carries no heat). You can find red curry paste on the international foods aisle, along with the coconut milk that's also called for in the recipe.

Thai Steak Noodle Bowl
Adapted from Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 2016

2 cups baby arugula
1 tbs lime juice
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
8 oz pad thai noodles (uncooked)
12 oz sirloin steak, sliced thinly
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup water
2 tbs red curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen brand)
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
 
Mix arugula, 1 tsp lime juice, 1/2 tsp sugr and 1/2 tsp salt and toss well to coat. Set aside.
 
Prepare rice noodles as instructed on package. Set aside.
 
Sprinkle steak with 1/2 tsp sugar. Heat skillet over high heat and add oil, swirling to coat. Add steak and cook 2 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 30 seconds or until browned. Remove from pan and keep warm.
 
Add 1/2 cup water, curry paste and coconut milk, stirring well. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tsp lime juice, 1 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.
 
To plate, divide noodles into four bowls, then add steak to each dish. Ladle broth over each serving and top with arugula. Sprinkle remaining salt over each bowl.
 
Until next time...
 
Cheers!
 



No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...