Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Party Plates: Homemade "Confetti" Salsa

This is the first year that my husband and I have had the opportunity to grow vegetables on our own, and we started with a small (well, it WAS small) yellow pear tomato plant given to us as a gift from my mother-in-law. Little did I know that the baby she gave us would soon turn into a rather large plant - with a rather bountiful yield of tomatoes! I wish I'd taken a picture of the bowl-full that I had sitting on my counter before I used them in today's recipe, but let's just say that when the girls at work decided to have a "girl's day" at the lake, I was more than happy to volunteer to make this dish. There's no way I could have eaten them all by myself before they went bad!

I call this "confetti" salsa because that's exactly what I thought about when I saw all of the beautiful colors of the ingredients mixed together in my food processor. It was literally a smorgasbord of yellows, reds and greens. Awesome! So, here you have it - the aptly named "confetti" salsa. If you don't have pear tomatoes, you can use all grape tomatoes. The result won't be quite as colorful, but it will still taste fantastic!

Homemade "Confetti" Salsa
1 1/2 cups grape or pear tomatoes (or a mix of the two), seeded and chopped, divided
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 lime

Add 1 cup tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and salt to food processor. Add the juice of the lime. Process briefly, pulsing four or five times to finely chop/dice all ingredients. Transfer to small serving bowl. Add 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and stir well. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.

This salsa is mild, though you can spice it up by swapping out the jalapeno for a habanero, if you'd like. I should say that it is quite garliky (yep, you'll smell it as soon as you uncover it!), so if it's too much you can always reduce the amount you add. 

Until next time...

Cheers!





No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...