Sunday, August 12, 2012

Weeknight Bites: Spicy Macaroni and Cheese

There are times when, I'll admit, I'm just too busy to make it to the grocery store (or too lazy, depending on the circumstances). It's time like these when I put my cooking creativity to the test: take inventory of what I have in my pantry and come up with the tastiest combination I possibly can while still making something that will qualify as a meal. After all, it doesn't do me much good to come up with a great idea for an hors d'oeuvre made solely from pantry ingredients if I in fact need to make something that I can serve for dinner. This week I found myself in such a pickle, and I have to say that the recipe I came up with was so delicious that I'll be adding it to my regular rotation. This is comfort food for sure, and if you're looking for something simple yet filling, it's exactly what you need.

As always, I've made mine spicy because that's what we like in our household.However, I'll give you a couple pointers on toning it down, if spicy isn't your thing.

Spicy Macaroni and Cheese
 8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni (or really, any "small" pasta that you like)
1 tbs unsalted butter
1 tbs all-purpose flour
2 cups pepperjack cheese*
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup milk
Cayenne pepper*
Parsley flakes (dried or fresh) for garnish

Cook macaroni as directed on package, set aside. Add 1 tbs butter to skillet and melt over medium-low heat; once melted, add flour and stir well to mix; cook for 1 1/2 minutes or until mixture smells "toasty." 

Remove the skillet from heat and slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to the mixture and stir to mix well.

Put skillet back on the heat (medium-low) and bring to a simmer (do not boil), stirring the entire time. Mixture will begin to thicken (this will take roughly 5 minutes, but may take a little less). Add cheese to the mixture and stir until melted. Remove from heat.

Toss cooked macaroni with cheese sauce, coating well. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with cayenne pepper and parsley flakes.

*Here are two instances where you can make take the spice in this dish down a notch. Instead of using pepperjack cheese, try a colby jack or cheddar. Use paprika in place of the cayenne pepper for a milder, smokier flavor.

This may not look or even sound like a ton of food, but don't be fooled by the fact that your serving sizes will look rather small. Trust me - it's really filling!  This recipe will serve 4.

Until next time...

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...